Physical therapy isn't just something you're required to do by your doctor following an injury or surgical procedure. It's an essential part of your recovery that allows you to rebuild strength, improve your range of motion, and recover faster. As the field of rehabilitative medicine has advanced, so too have the various therapeutic options. One of those is the McKenzie Method of physical therapy, a specialized approach that can help you recover from injuries and surgeries without relying on medication or invasive surgical procedures.
At , our is proud to include McKenzie-certified therapists who are able to utilize this specialized approach to help you recover faster and with lasting results. Here's what you need to know about McKenzie therapy, how it can help you, and what sets it apart from other physical therapy techniques:
What is McKenzie Physical Therapy?
Named after New Zealand-based physiotherapist Robin McKenzie, the McKenzie Method is an approach to treating a wide variety of musculoskeletal pain issues through hands-on therapy and exercise. This method works by restoring your body's natural ability to move, relieve pain, and heal itself with movement as opposed to immobilizing you or using medications that can cause further problems.
What are the benefits of McKenzie Therapy near me?
There are many benefits of McKenzie Therapy, which is why it's become such a popular treatment option among patients and doctors alike. Some of the most common benefits include:
- Relief from chronic pain: Because McKenzie therapy is focused on restoring natural movement, it can be an effective way to find relief from chronic pain that has not responded to other methods.
- Improved mobility and function: By improving your range of motion and restoring your ability to move freely, McKenzie therapy can help you regain lost mobility and function.
- Reduced reliance on pain medication: By providing relief from chronic pain, McKenzie therapy can help you reduce or eliminate your reliance on pain medications, which can have harmful side effects.
- A faster recovery process: The McKenzie Method is designed to help you heal quickly and effectively, so you can get back to your life as soon as possible.
If you're in the New Orleans area, you're close to some of the top McKenzie-certified physical therapists in the US. At Jefferson Orthopedic Clinic, we use the latest and most effective physical therapy techniques to help our patients recover quickly and effectively.
What sets McKenzie Therapy apart from other physical therapy methods?
There are several things that set McKenzie Therapy apart from other physical therapy methods, including:
- A focus on movement: Most other physical therapy methods focus on immobilization and rest, but the McKenzie Method is all about movement. This is because movement is essential to the healing process.
- A hands-on approach: Rather than relying on machines or other assistive devices, McKenzie therapists use their hands to provide manual therapy. This allows them to target specific areas of pain and provide targeted relief.
- A holistic approach to healing: McKenzie therapy is a whole-body approach that uses exercise and other techniques to treat your pain, not just the symptoms of it.
If you're looking for an effective way to recover from chronic pain or injuries without the use of unnecessary medications, consider turning to our team of dedicated therapists at Jefferson Orthopedic Clinic. With our McKenzie-certified therapists on your side, you can recover faster and with lasting results.
Can McKenzie Therapy help me avoid surgery?
While every patient is different, McKenzie therapy has proven to be an effective alternative to surgery in many cases. In fact, it can often work just as well as surgery at restoring your mobility and function following an injury or surgical procedure. If you're considering surgery but want to avoid invasive procedures that come with a long recovery time, speak with one of our McKenzie-certified therapists today about how they can help. Not only can they help you recover faster and more effectively, but they can also help you avoid the risks and side effects of surgery.
What should I expect during a McKenzie Method session?
At Jefferson Orthopedic Clinic, our McKenzie therapists will work with you one-on-one to develop the right treatment plan for your unique needs. This may include applying manual therapy techniques and using targeted exercises to help you restore your natural range of motion and movement patterns. Some of the exercises you might do during a typical session include:
- McKenzie extensions: These exercises help to extend the spine and relieve pressure on the discs.
- McKenzie flexion: These exercises help to flex the spine and strengthen the abdominal muscles.
- McKenzie side-lying: These exercises help to improve your range of motion and flexibility.
Each session is tailored to meet your individual needs, so you can expect your therapist to adjust your exercises as needed.
If you're interested in learning more about the McKenzie Method of physical therapy and how it can help you, contact our team at today. Our specializes in using cutting-edge techniques like McKenzie Therapy, and we’ll work with you to create a customized treatment plan that will help you regain strength, mobility, and range of motion. We'll also help you learn how to protect yourself from further injury.